Which platform would you find most suitable for this community forum?

As we continue to grow and develop our online community, we are considering which platform is best suited to meet our needs. In this post, I would like to discuss the benefits and cons of running our community on Discourse, Telegram, or Discord.

Discourse is the current platform on which we are running this forum. It is designed specifically for online communities. One of its main benefits is its emphasis on communication and collaboration. It offers a variety of tools to facilitate discussions, such as threaded conversations and private messages. Additionally, Discourse has a user-friendly interface and is highly customizable, allowing us to tailor the platform to our specific needs. However, Discourse does have a learning curve, which could impact engagement. Still, it will enable us to create separate topics to generate and evolve ideas orderly and constructively.

In addition to this:

• Everything stays there and nothing is lost
  • Instead of being a chatting application where messages are continuously sent, users have a more weighted approach before posting, which I think rewards quality instead of quantity.
  • Members earn karma points and badges, allowing anyone to understand how someone is involved in this project. This is also important as it’s easier to get rid of scammers and spammers.

Telegram is a really popular cloud-based messaging app that offers a variety of features, including private chats, group chats, and the ability to share files and media. One of its main benefits is its simple, user-friendly interface, which probably everyone has heard about. However, Telegram does have limited options for organizing conversations and may not be the best option for communities that require more advanced features.

In addition to this:

• it will require users to install the Telegram app on their phones and/or computers
  • can be easily targeted by scammers
  • it allows push notifications on the phones

Discord is a popular platform for online gaming communities, but many other communities also use it. It offers a variety of features, including voice and video chats, group chats, and the ability to share files and media. However, like Discourse, it has a learning curve and may not be the best option for communities that require more advanced features.

In addition to this:

• it will require users to install Discord app on their phones and/or computers
  • crypto-scammers definitely target it
  • it allows push notifications on the phones

Well, here are all the PROs and CONs of these platforms we could think of. If you guys and girls have any additional ones in mind, we gladly invite you to share your opinions and comment on them. But primarily, we need your help in figuring out what’s your favorite ‘social playground’. So, please vote on the following poll and help us adapt to your preferences:

Vote here!

3 Likes

Nice insights!
I’d say Telegram! Telegram is a really versatile platform that offers a lot of cool features to help you connect and collaborate with your group. It’s customizable, available on all major platforms, and offers end-to-end encryption to keep conversations secure and private. I really think it could be a great fit for our community

I grew up with forums, and I believe they promote quality content more than quantity. Messaging apps like Telegram and Discord certainly have the benefit of having quick feedback and responses and spaces where you can just chat, but how effective are they at helping to develop ideas?

On the other hand, I always wonder how much time people are willing to spend reading and searching for the information they need. Especially on a new project, I can understand that people want to spend less time on it, and being able to enter a chat to ask might be the most effective solution.

Personally, I voted for Discourse, but it could be an idea to also support a Telegram/Discord channel once the project is live to give immediate support to users who use the platform and keep the forum on Discourse for more sophisticated and asynchronous discussions.

By collecting more feedback, we could certainly have a clearer idea.
Let’s see how this pool evolves.