Onboard users with easy and non custodial wallets

As discussed here What should we prioritize in the development? - #4 by astrobloke
we should discuss the technical aspects of onboarding users with a wallet that does not require all the steps like metamask.

I think that we should evaluate both in terms of:

• documentation : how well is written and easy to integrate into our app
  • price : let’s make sure costs come only when we scale
  • projects : how many projects are actually using this wallet
  • chain support : I don’t expect issues here, but let’s double check
  • external integration : sequence.xyz supports fiat-to-crypto onramps: NFT onramps . This could be a good add-on, as we will need to support this in outwave if we aim to ease the user’s onboarding

I post here my findings.

web3auth - pros

• more time on the market, they are the one behind torus network the service which secures a fragment of the key
  • it has a list of ready to use adapters with which they support metamask, walletconnect and other wallets
  • it has more users (several millions wallets)
  • big list of clients like binance
  • it can scale easily, free until 1000 active users per month

sequence - pros

• it still uses web3auth to store one of the 3 keys
  • has additional services like relayer for metatransactions, indexer for fast api, they allow to pay fees in stables,
  • integrate onramps (web3auth has it too)
  • support was definitely better, they answered all my questions on discord
  • more contributors, it’s more used looking at npm metrics

Sequence pricing and business model is unclear, i will post more about it.
Pricing aside i’m liking more sequence: it seems easier to integrate, offers the same security and has more features.

“Sequence monetizes end users through value-add, non-predatory solutions. Such as a small fee for using built in Sequence Swap.”

So it’s basically free and it doesn’t require the creation of an authenticated backend service like web3auth does. I’d say let’s go with sequence guys

Ok! Let’s start the integration with sequence.xyz then.

Let’s keep updated this post with everything related to this integration